Your 30-second guide to Saving Our State.
Oklahoma is in a budget crisis. As a result, our roads are crumbling, teachers are leaving and basic core services are being slashed. Fixing the situation is up to you – and your state legislator.
The first step you can take is as simple as leaving a voicemail for your State Representative and State Senator. We’ve set up a special number to make it easy. You can make one call and we’ll send it to both of your legislators.
Here are a few tips:
- Make sure you say your name, phone number, and address at the beginning of the call (so your elected official knows they are hearing from a person in their district)
- Be polite, but firm.
- If you mess up, just dial the number and record again!
Let’s get started!
- Dial (405) 309-3909 and follow the prompts to leave a voicemail.
- Follow the script below. (You have up to one minute to record. Feel free to personalize it if you like, but include our website so they know where the call is coming from.)
- Make sure you leave your address (so we can get your message to the right people).
- Simply hang up when you are done (or call back if you want a “do over”).
- We’ll deliver the voicemail to your state legislators on your behalf.
Hi, this is Jane Doe, and I live in your district at 432 Elm Street in Watonga, zip code 73772.
I’m calling to ask you to put students, schools and families before the interests of Big Oil lobbyists. The budget has been balanced on the backs of working families for too long. Return the gross production tax to 7% to help fix our budget and Save Our State.
I understand your job is hard, but it is not impossible. The people of Oklahoma are counting on you to put our interests first. For more ideas on filling the budget hole, please visit Save Our State OK Dot Org and read the budget blueprint, which I support. If you have any questions, I can be reached at [phone number]. Thank you
Note: Leaving your phone number is optional, but many legislators prefer you do so they can follow up.
What’s next? We can’t stress this enough – leaving a voicemail is the most impactful action you can take other than an in-person meeting with your lawmaker. It’s easy and fast, and it makes a difference.
After that, here are some other actions for you to take:
- Print this script, carry it with you, and ask your friends to leave a voicemail also.
- Share the website – www.saveourstateok.org – on Facebook and Twitter and ask your friends to call as well.
- Sign up for more action updates at saveourstateok.org.